Pregnant women should not only see an OB-BYN, but they should also be seeing a dermatologist. A new Cleveland Clinic study has shown there are links between Melanoma to pregnant women.
Dermatologist Dr. Madhavi Kandula visited the Fox 2 studio this morning with helpful tips and advice for pregnant women who may have Melanoma.
- Women diagnosed with melanoma during pregnancy were 5 times more likely to die.
- 7 times more likely to have metastasis
- 9 times more likely to have recurrences
- Melanoma in pregnant women is much more aggressive.
- The immune system changes and hormone changes account for the increase in severity.
- Pregnant women should have complete skin checks prior to getting pregnant and then after delivery.